P650HP6-G build advice

danoun
danoun
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop and so I come for some advice.

Here is what I'm looking for:
portable enough to travel and use in a train or airplane with a battery that can last 2-3 hours minimum in normal conditions.
it should be able to handle most games on a FHD resolution.
it should last for the next 3-5 years.
low temperatures and noises

Based on my investigations, I'm currently torn between the P650HP6-G Obsidian model and the MSI GS63VR 7RF which is lighter/smaller/cheaper.

Considering all this, I have several questions about the P650HP6-G model:

Display: How good/bad is your display (brightness, contrast, response times, ...)?

GPU: I fell like th GTX 1060 is enough for me but considering the display is 120Hz and G-sync enabled, is the GTX 1070 worth the extra cash?

CPU: I'm not really into OC and I think I will even undervolted the CPU to improve battery life and temperatures. The only reason I would go for the 7820HK is futureproof?

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Impact 2400 seems a good price/performance ratio and fits my need I think.

Storage: I was thinking either 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO or 250GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO + 1TB FIRECUDA SSHD but I never owned an SSD system so I'm lacking perspective on this subject, maybe another option is better/cheaper?

Wireless: from reviews seem like Intel card might be slightly better?

Accessories: I might be interested in the Houston backpack, does it protect the laptop well all things considered and have enough space to fit others things than the laptop?

Temperatures and noises: how well does your model fare against the GS63VR after your repaste and tweaks?

Bios: what are the advantages of your bios? (I think you made one for this model right?)

Warranty: since I live in France, shipping can be expensive so I'm wondering if the warrant covers it in case anything breaks?

Any other suggestion? Something I totally got wrong?

Thank you in advance for reading this long post and helping me!

• OBSIDIAN PC
    OBSIDIAN PC
    danoun wrote: »
    Hi,

portable enough to travel and use in a train or airplane with a battery that can last 2-3 hours minimum in normal conditions.

Based on my investigations, I'm currently torn between the P650HP6-G Obsidian model and the MSI GS63VR 7RF which is lighter/smaller/cheaper.

Display: How good/bad is your display (brightness, contrast, response times, ...)?

GPU: I fell like th GTX 1060 is enough for me but considering the display is 120Hz and G-sync enabled, is the GTX 1070 worth the extra cash?

CPU: I'm not really into OC and I think I will even undervolted the CPU to improve battery life and temperatures. The only reason I would go for the 7820HK is futureproof?

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) HyperX Impact 2400 seems a good price/performance ratio and fits my need I think.

Storage: I was thinking either 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO or 250GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO + 1TB FIRECUDA SSHD but I never owned an SSD system so I'm lacking perspective on this subject, maybe another option is better/cheaper?

Accessories: I might be interested in the Houston backpack, does it protect the laptop well all things considered and have enough space to fit others things than the laptop?

Temperatures and noises: how well does your model fare against the GS63VR after your repaste and tweaks?

Bios: what are the advantages of your bios? (I think you made one for this model right?)

Warranty: since I live in France, shipping can be expensive so I'm wondering if the warrant covers it in case anything breaks?

Not sure if we already discussing this by email or not?
    Are we?
  • OBSIDIAN PC
    OBSIDIAN PC
    danoun wrote: »
    Hi,

The 120hz is FAST, that´s what it´s made for, color wise it´s not as good as a standard 60hz IPS but if you are really into fast pacing games it will make a lot of difference.

The GPU, i cant really comment, it really depends on the games you play and the quality you want and for how long. So it´s a tough choice. The 1060 should handle all current games very well, but yes, the 1070 is more "future proof".

Keep the 7700HQ since it´s more silent, undervolt it and profit ;)

Yeap 16GB should be more then enough.

Go for the 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO, that´s probably one of the best SSDs at the moment, quality, security, performance, that´s my choice.

Intel will be good, we usually recommend it over the Killer only because we had problems with Killer drivers in the past.

There are some advantages with our BIOS:

At the moment we only have half shipping for France, so in case of warranty you send us the laptop and we will offer the shipping back. We are trying to add more countries to our Full Pick Up and Return warranty.

Looking at your config i think you already know very well how to select your parts.
  • danoun
    danoun
    Thanks for your answer, I did a lot of research for this purchase but it's always nice to have the opinion of a professional.
    I think I'll go for the P650 with those options and I like the customisation and services you offer. I only have to sort out the GPU thing.