Help me understand all of what Obsidian Tools is

Xephrey
Xephrey

I'm waiting on a PA71ES-G shipment, so naturally I'm looking for whatever quirks or tips I need to know about my new system. It seems like the general consensus is that Clevo's own software is pretty lacking: fan control poorly done, custom keyboard settings can't be saved, etc. So, I discovered Obsidian Tools from Bobofalltrades' YouTube channel while looking for alternatives to Clevo's software. He mentions a 'free version', which begs the question what the paid version looks like and what that value proposition looks like.

This model is pretty new, so there aren't many reviews of it. From what little I've read about it, it seems like it gets pretty toasty. Makes sense since the new Coffee Lake i7s run hotter than the last gen and the chassis is less than an inch thick. Despite the slim design, I'm hoping the fact that it's a 17" - the bigger space will somewhat mitigate the potential thermal issues, despite the decreased volume. To help out in this effort, I'm planning on undervolting the CPU. Is this something that can be done via Obsidian Tools? It looks like you guys make custom BIOSes. What are some of the most significant improvements you've seen from your own software over the stock software in this regard?

Any further information on this software would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• OBSIDIAN PC
    OBSIDIAN PC
    Xephrey said:

I'm waiting on a PA71ES-G shipment, so naturally I'm looking for whatever quirks or tips I need to know about my new system. It seems like the general consensus is that Clevo's own software is pretty lacking: fan control poorly done, custom keyboard settings can't be saved, etc. So, I discovered Obsidian Tools from Bobofalltrades' YouTube channel while looking for alternatives to Clevo's software. He mentions a 'free version', which begs the question what the paid version looks like and what that value proposition looks like.

This model is pretty new, so there aren't many reviews of it. From what little I've read about it, it seems like it gets pretty toasty. Makes sense since the new Coffee Lake i7s run hotter than the last gen and the chassis is less than an inch thick. Despite the slim design, I'm hoping the fact that it's a 17" - the bigger space will somewhat mitigate the potential thermal issues, despite the decreased volume. To help out in this effort, I'm planning on undervolting the CPU. Is this something that can be done via Obsidian Tools? It looks like you guys make custom BIOSes. What are some of the most significant improvements you've seen from your own software over the stock software in this regard?

Any further information on this software would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I would recommend following this thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-drivers-update-utility-by-obsidian-pc.801464/page-157

We are doing a lot of original software!

All of it will be available for sell in our CODE website:
    https://code.obsidian-pc.com