Keyboard LED no longer works

agrippa1
agrippa1
edited April 17 in OBSIDIAN Products
I had to do a full reinstall a few months ago, put on Control Station, Updater and Keyboard LED onto a fresh OS install on my P775DM3.

Keyboard LED has caused me no end of trouble after initially working fine for about a month.  For a few weeks it kept requiring Admin access to startup properly which was an annoyance but it still worked after access was granted manually.  Now the program does load up without prompting for Admin, but doesn't load up any colour schemes and in fact the keyboard backlighting doesn't want to work at all.  When activly opened, Keyboard LED loads up, I can make adjustments on screen but no changes are reflected on the keyboard's lighting.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Keyboard LED but it didnt fix anything.

I tested the keyboard backlight with another program to rule out physical fault in the machine and I was able to get keys to light up and change without any drama.

Is there something obvious I have missed to get Keyboard LED working again?  Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

(Also in case its relevant, Updater and Control Station seem to work just fine).

• OBSIDIAN PC
    OBSIDIAN PC
    agrippa1 said:
    I had to do a full reinstall a few months ago, put on Control Station, Updater and Keyboard LED onto a fresh OS install on my P775DM3.

Keyboard LED has caused me no end of trouble after initially working fine for about a month.  For a few weeks it kept requiring Admin access to startup properly which was an annoyance but it still worked after access was granted manually.  Now the program does load up without prompting for Admin, but doesn't load up any colour schemes and in fact the keyboard backlighting doesn't want to work at all.  When activly opened, Keyboard LED loads up, I can make adjustments on screen but no changes are reflected on the keyboard's lighting.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Keyboard LED but it didnt fix anything.

I tested the keyboard backlight with another program to rule out physical fault in the machine and I was able to get keys to light up and change without any drama.

Is there something obvious I have missed to get Keyboard LED working again?  Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

(Also in case its relevant, Updater and Control Station seem to work just fine).

You actually need to install Fan Control too.
    We moved all operation to a service that gets installed by Fan Control, you do not need to buy Fan Control, just install it and run it at least once, then you can forget about it and never use it again.
    We will soon update Keyboard LED so that it is also capable of installing the required service.
  • agrippa1
    agrippa1
    Awesome, thank you so much for the help that seems to have entirely fixed things.  Sorry if this was an obvious fix and I managed to miss it.
  • agrippa1
    agrippa1
    Ok so I say its fixed, but now Keyboard LED doesnt want to work on startup and has to be manually opened to get it working.  I checked that it was a startup process, it has admin rights just no joy on startup.

I'm really sorry if I am being tremendously stupid and missing something obvious?
  • OBSIDIAN PC
    OBSIDIAN PC
    agrippa1 said:
    Ok so I say its fixed, but now Keyboard LED doesnt want to work on startup and has to be manually opened to get it working.  I checked that it was a startup process, it has admin rights just no joy on startup.

I'm really sorry if I am being tremendously stupid and missing something obvious?

Yeah it seems this is happening with a lot of people.
    MS Changed how some apps should be started or not.
    We are doing some changes on all apps to solve this, hopefully it will fix your problem.

You can also try this: 

Exit Keyboard LED
    Go to C:\Program Files\Keyboardled\ 
    Right Click KeyboardLed.exe and select "Start As Administrator"
    Nor remove the "Start with Windows" option and re-check the option.
    Reboot and tell me if that solved it for you.
    Thanks
  • agrippa1
    agrippa1
    edited April 22
    Sorry for the delay in getting back, I had a work event this weekend :(

Followed instructions and it seems to be working at the moment but it was working fine before with reboots and short shutdowns.  It was only after an overnight shutdown when the problem occurred so I'll post back here again in a couple of days and let you know how it works out.

Once again, thanks for the help and advice.
  • agrippa1
    agrippa1
    No joy I'm afraid.  Laptop booted this afternoon and Keyboard LED needed to be run to get colours in the keyboard.
  • OBSIDIAN PC
    OBSIDIAN PC
    agrippa1 said:
    No joy I'm afraid.  Laptop booted this afternoon and Keyboard LED needed to be run to get colours in the keyboard.
    Ok then something is blocking it, i´ll add a fix for this.
    I can probably check it was loaded and if not load it (ill do this in Control Station since it does have admin access from the start).