FPS drop with G-Sync ON in LoL solved

tiagofmmonteiro
tiagofmmonteiro
Hi!

I've been experienced some FPS drop with G-Sync activated when playing League of Legends. What happens is that the game starts with about 300/400 FPS and after some seconds, they drop to about only 30 FPS, or even less.

My solution was to disable G-Sync to that game on the Nvidia control panel and that was running normal.

This was happening in version 21.21.13.7586.

Now, Nvidia launches the version 21.21.13.7619 and they solved this issue. I can now play LoL with G-Sync ON and have no FPS drop. Just installed the update that GeForce Experience was asking for...

However, it is still necessary to block the FPS in game to 144, instead of default uncapped. If you let it in uncapped, above 300 fps it will do an image "error", appearing that the player "flashes" when you click to move it.

So, you need to update to latest driver, turn G-Sync ON and open the game. In the Video Configuration, blockyou max FPS to 144.

Best regards!

• falselot
    falselot
    I have the same problem with GeForce 376.19 WHQL drivers and gtx 1070.

Game becomes unplayable, unless you turn g-sync off. Other games work flawlessly with g-sync on.
  • tiagofmmonteiro
    tiagofmmonteiro
    Hi. I have a GTX 1060, maybe the problem was solved by NVidia only to my GPU. Anyway, NVidia launched a new version yesterday, try to update it and see if the problem continues...

Best regards
  • tiagofmmonteiro
    tiagofmmonteiro
    falselot wrote: »

Game becomes unplayable, unless you turn g-sync off. Other games work flawlessly with g-sync on.

Hi. Have you solved that issue updating to the driver 21.21.13.7633?
  • falselot
    falselot

Hi. Have you solved that issue updating to the driver 21.21.13.7633?

No, I still have the same problem, it becomes all choppy and unplayable.

If I run without gsync, the fps is good, around 100 with all maxed, but the feeling is not smooth at all.

I guess it's a specific league of legends problem, because gpu and cpu only run at 30% when playing this, and are around 40 celcius degree of temp.

awaiting next drivers.
  • falselot
    falselot
    i've tried now without gsync but with vertical sync on ingame,

fps locks at 75 and it feels smooth, not perfect but smooth enough to play.
  • tiagofmmonteiro
    tiagofmmonteiro
    edited December 2016
    i've tried now without gsync but with vertical sync on ingame,

fps locks at 75 and it feels smooth, not perfect but smooth enough to play.

Hi!

Activate only the VSync it wasn't a good solution, cause it can generate input lag... You can make a quick search for "VSync input lag" and found more info for that. In LoL you will not notice that as much as in Counter-Strike. But playing gaming cars, wow.... you feel that you're really lagging between the wheel drive and the monitor!

So, i've been made a few researches for have the same smoothness and had a minimum input lag... At the end, it's all we want for all games!!

What i found was that:
    - If you can, you must cap your fps in ALL games, and that cap MUST BE ALWAYS LOWER than your LCD refresh rate. Lower yes!! The problems only start's when fps are higher than you screen refresh rate! If you cap it lower, this problem will never occur...
    And much more!! I start played Porject cars at ~200 fps in game, and my GTX1060 goes to 55º and a bit noisy. Sometimes i had some freeze problems... After cap it to 75fps, the game was smoothest, much more stable, and my GPU falls down in temp and noise!! So, if your monitor only shows to you 75fps, why send to him more than that?! Only to make GPU hotter and noisy?! Resuming: cap your fps everytime you can...
    - VSync only actues when fps raise your LCD rate, so you can activate it in Quick mode. So, in the games that you can cap your fps, VSync will never turn's on (great for minimize tha input lag), you the games you cannot cap it, VSync will work despising the fps he gets higher than you want. This option i'm trying it yet!
    - i think GSync is not working very properly in some games, so, it's really necessary to try activate or desactivate it and see if changes something.
    If possible, let it Activated; If you need to turn it off, do it only for that game in NVidia Control Panel;

I have a 75Hz screen and this are actually my configs:
    LoL: capped at 60fps in "game options -> video"; (the LoL's Pro have an 144Hz monitor and always cap it to 144fps) I had 75Hz but hadn't that option, so capped to 60...
    Project Cars: capped at 75 in Steam launch preferences adding "-fpscap 75" in launch options;
    Counter-Strike:GO: capped on command line with comand "fps_max 75"

And....

... a Happy New Year!!
  • tiagofmmonteiro
    tiagofmmonteiro
    On rFactor 2 you can cap fps finding player.json in your userdata\player folder and adjust the option: Max Framerate to your screen rate. I change to 75 on mine.
  • OBSIDIAN PC
    OBSIDIAN PC
    Have any of you tried to add custom resolutions with higher refresh rate in NVIDIA Control Panel?
    Also known as Refresh Rate Overclock?
  • tiagofmmonteiro
    tiagofmmonteiro
    Have any of you tried to add custom resolutions with higher refresh rate in NVIDIA Control Panel?
    Also known as Refresh Rate Overclock?

Hi! No, i don't... I've tried now and i cannot pass 100Hz on my 75Hz screen. I'll try this too... And the LCD don't "suffer" with this?
  • OBSIDIAN PC
    OBSIDIAN PC
    I´ve been using mine with OC for some time now, for what i read it should not damage your screen.
  • tiagofmmonteiro
    tiagofmmonteiro
    Thanks! I'll try with that too... On my P170HM3 was a 120Hz native, so i'd notice a bit difference...
  • falselot
    falselot
    I didn't remember to comment on this anymore.

I've been playing with 60fps limit with g-sync on because next option in LOL is 80fps limit and my screen is 75hz.

I've also tried to oc my screen to 80 and 100hz and try 80fps option but it doesn't work, the screen shows tearing when moving the scenario.

it kind of pisses me off not using these 15 extra hz i have in League, because it's the game I play the most.

If anyone knows a solution to this, comment!