Obsidian utility hanging during driver update

amundsen
amundsen
Hello,

Once again the Obsidian utility hangs while updating some drivers. Can't tell which one exactly. It ran the update of some Intel driver, then it hung, displaying "Installing Driver".

It's not the first time it happens. I have checked that no driver updater is running. I have utility's latest version.

• OBSIDIAN PC
    OBSIDIAN PC
    amundsen wrote: »
    Hello,

Once again the Obsidian utility hangs while updating some drivers. Can't tell which one exactly. It ran the update of some Intel driver, then it hung, displaying "Installing Driver".

It's not the first time it happens. I have checked that no driver updater is running. I have utility's latest version.

Unless you can tell me the exact driver it´s going to be hard to test it.

• amundsen
    amundsen
    Now I understand what happens. When updating drivers, most of the time the driver's installer opens in front of other windows. With the Intel ME updater, the window doesn't open in front, so the user doesn't know it's open and is requesting user acknowledgment to go on. So, that's why Obsidian Tools seems to hang.

So I suggest either to include a message to the user, such as "Please check if the driver's installer has open a window", or make sure the installers alwyas appear in front.
  • OBSIDIAN PC
    OBSIDIAN PC
    amundsen wrote: »
    Now I understand what happens. When updating drivers, most of the time the driver's installer opens in front of other windows. With the Intel ME updater, the window doesn't open in front, so the user doesn't know it's open and is requesting user acknowledgment to go on. So, that's why Obsidian Tools seems to hang.

So I suggest either to include a message to the user, such as "Please check if the driver's installer has open a window", or make sure the installers alwyas appear in front.
    ^

Ahhhhh i understand now.
    Ok thanks for sugestion.
    Let me see what i can do.